Department of Sindhi, University of Mumbai was established on 15th June, 1974.Mr. Ram Panjwani was the first person, worked as Reader & Head, until 19th November, 1976. After his retirement, the Department remained Headless and on 3rd March, 1981, Dr. A.G. Mirchandani took charge, as it's second Reader & Head. He worked until 20th April, 1985. Later on, Dr. N.J. Paryani joined the Department of Sindhi as a Lecturer, on 8th August, 1985, who was subsequently appointed as a Reader on 13th September, 1990. He remained Reader & Head, till his retirement on 30th September, 1992. Subsequent to that, Dr. Baldev B. Matlani was appointed as a Lecturer (Senior Scale) on 15th February, 1994 and became Head in the Department on 13th April, 1994. Immediately after that on 1st September, 1994, Dr. Baldev B. Matlani was appointed as a Reader by the Selection Committee, on 1st September, 1994. Thereafter Dr. Baldev B. Matlani got Reader's Scale through Career Advancement Scheme with retrospective date, i.e. 1st June, 1994 and subsequently promoted to the post of Professor through Career Advancement with effect from 1st September, 2002. Dr. Manoharlal B. Matlani was appointed as a Lecturer in Sindhi, on 27th November, 1996 and became Head of Sindhi Department on 6th July, 2001 by rotation and completed his term as Head, on 13th June, 2005. Thereafter once again Dr. Baldev B. Matlani has been given charge as Head, Department of Sindhi.
Books available at Jawaharlal Nehru Library, and Departmental Library for Ready Reference also.
The Department published following books :
1) 'Fun-e-Tahqiq ain un ja Usool' (Art of Research and its Principles) Demi Size130 pages, Translated in Sindhi by Dr. Baldev B. Matlani from Urdu, in August, 1997
2) 'Sindhi Lok Adab' (Sindhi Folk Literature) Demi Size 106 pages, Compiled by Dr. Baldev B. Matlani, in November,1998, containing Papers presented at an International Seminar, organized by Department. of Sindhi.
3) 'Sindhi Medieval Literature' (English) Demi Size 48 pages, by Dr. Baldev. B. Matlani, in Nov.1998, based on a lecture delivered at a function, organized by Sindhi Academy Delhi on invitation from Delhi Sindhi Academy, Government of India.
4) 'Sindhi Kahani' (Sindhi Short Story) Demi Size 104 pages, Compiled by Dr. Manoharlal B. Matlani , in August, 2000 containing Papers presented at a Seminar organised by the Department of Sindhi,.University of Mumbai, in December,1998.
5) 'Sindhi Boli-a-ja Hazar Sal' (Millenium of Sindhi Language) Demi Size, 116 pages, Compiled by Dr. Manoharlal B.Matlani, in 2000, Containing Papers presented at a Seminar, organized by the Department of Sindhi,University of Mumbai, in February 2000.
6) 'Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai' Demi Size 112 pages Compiled by Dr. Manoharlal B. Matlani , in Nov. 2001, containing papers presented at an International Seminar, organized by the Department.
7) 'Gobind Malhi - Shakhs ain Adeeb (Gobind Malhi -Person & Writer' Demi Size 536 pages, by Dr. Manoharlal B. Matlani, in Dec. 2002, containing research thesis, approved by University of Mumbai, for the degree of Ph.D.
8) 'Assasi Sindhi Shairi' (Classical Sindhi Poetry' Demi Size 120 pages, Compiled by Dr. Manoharlal B. Matlani, in Dec. 2002, collection of research papers, presented at a National Seminar.
9) 'Shah ain Sachal Jo Taqabuli Abhyas' (Comparative Study of Shah and Sachal' Demi Size 304 pages, by Dr. Baldev B.Matlani, in Nov. 2003, containing research thesis, approved by University of Mumbai, for the degree of Ph.D.
10) 'Bartaanvi Dour Mein Sindhi Adab' (Sindhi Prose in British Period) Demi size, 112 pages, Compiled by Dr. Manoharlal B.Matlani, in Nov. 2003, collection of research papers, presented at a National Seminar.
11) 'Agu Na Ditho Kadaheen' (Never Seen Before), Demi Size 336 pages, by Dr. Baldev B. Matlani, in March, 2004, a Travelogue
Department of Sindhi,
University of Mumbai,
Vidyanagari Campus, Santacruz (East),
Telephone : 2652 63388
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- M.A PArt-I: 2406/-
- M.A Part-II: 1581/-
Diploma in Sindhi
Advanced Diploma in Sindhi
Programme Name: Certificate Course in Sindhi
Name : Dr. BALDEV B. MATLANI
Designation : Professor & Head
Office Address: Department of Sindhi, University of Mumbai, Vidyanagari Campus, Santa Cruz (East), Mumbai-400 098
Tel. No. : + 91 - 22 - 2678 8738
E-mail : email@example.com
Name : Dr. Manoharlal B. Matlani
Designation : Lecturer (Sr. Scale)
Office Address: Department of Sindhi, University of Mumbai, Vidyanagari Campus, Santacruz (E), Mumbai-400 098
Tel. No. : + 91 - 22 - 2678 8738
1) Mr. Shrikant A. Monde, Typist-Clerk
2) Mr. Rajendra A. Kadam, Peon
Research Summary : 1999-2000 to 2007-2008
- Vandana Ramwani Research done at Ph.D.
- Jagdish Lachhani Research done at Ph.D.
- Purnima Belani Research done at Ph.D.
- Bhojraj Lakhwani Research done at Ph.D.
Research Projects : - Vandana Ramwani has successfully completed her research on 'Sami Hik Vedanti Shair' (Sami - A Vedantic Poet) in August, 2000, for the degree of Ph.D.
- Jagdish Lachhani has successfully completed his research on 'Bharat Je Sindhi Shair Mein Virhange Ji Tasveer' (Portrayal of Partition in Indian Sindhi Poetry) in June, 2001, for the degree of Ph.D.
- Purnima Belani has successfully completed her research on 'Sindhi Lafzan Jo Tarikhi Abhyas' (Historical Study of Sindhi Vocabulary' in August, 2002, for the degree of Ph.D. - BhojrajLakhwani
Working Papers/Research :- Presently Ram Jawhrani is doing his Ph.D. research Papers
(recent)on 'Ram Panjwani - Shakhs ain Kalakar' (Ram Panjwani - A Person and Artist)
Dr. Baldev B. Matlani, Head, Department of Sindhi, was invited by Sindhi Association of North America, at its 22nd Annual Convention on 30th July, 2006, held at Toronto, Canada. Dr. Matlani presented a paper on 'Preservation and Promotion of Sindhi Language in India'. The paper was highly applauded by the global audience.
Dr. B.B. Matlani was again invited by Sahitya Akademi, Madya Pradesh Sanskriti Parisad, Bhopal to present a paper on 'Allama Iqbal Ke Kalam Mein Bharatya Mahapurush' in Urdu language, at a national seminar, held at Indore, on 8th September, 2006.
This is a sesqui-centennial year of '1857 Revolt', hence a national seminar was organized by Central Hindi Institute, Agra, on its impact on Indian languages, which was held at Mumbai, on 19th -21st Dec., 2006. Dr. B.B. Matlani was invited to represent Sindhi language by presenting a paper on '1857 Revolt and its Impact on Sindhi language'.
During the sesqui-centennial celebrations of University of Mumbai, Department of Sindhi, organized a grand International Seminar of 'Relevance of Sindhyat in Modern Times', on March 6th , 2007, at Marathi Bhasha Bhavan, Vidyanagari Campus. The seminar was inaugurated by Hon'ble Dr. Vijay Khole, Vice-Chancellor, University of Mumbai, in association of Pro-Vice Chancellor, Dr. A.D. Sawant and Dr. Jayant Dighe, Registrar. Renowned Advocate and Former Law Minister of India, Mr. Ram Jethmalani graced the seminar as a Chief Guest, while Srichand Hinduja (London), Ram Buxani (Dubai), Dr. L.H. Hiranandani, Niranjan Hiranandani, Mazharul Haq Siddiqui, Vice-Chancellor, University of Sindh, Hyderabad (Pakistan), Amar Jaleel, former Vice-Chancellor, Allama Iqbal Open University, Islamabad (Pakistan), Chandru Raheja, Gobind Daryanani, Kishu Mansukhani and Anil Harish graced the inaugural function, as Guests of Honour.
Five Papers 'Sindhu Civilisatrion - Its application for 21st Century', 'Sindhis - God's Gift to Global Economy - Reflection', 'Sindhis' Faith in Sufism and Universal Peace', 'A Sindhi-Free from Partition's Communal Dogma' and 'Sindhis' Hardwork and their Foreign Expeditions' were presented by Mr. Srichand Hinduja (London), Dr. Ram Buxani (Dubai), Mr. Mazharul Haq Siddiqui (Sindh), Amar Jaleel (Sindh) and Dr. Baldev B. Matlani (Mumbai) respectively Dr. L.H. Hiranandani and Mr. Ranjit Butani, Chief Editor, Quarterly 'Sindhishaan' presided over, these papers in two different sessions. In the evening, a 'Hi-Tea Party' was given to all the delegates at the lawns of Marathi Bhasha Bhavan. Hence, all the participants had taken sweet memories of seminar, with them.
Dr. Baldev B. Matlani, was invited by Culture House of Iran, Mumbai, at their national seminar on 'Linguistic & Literary Influence of Persian on Indian Languages' on 17th -19th March, 2007 at Anjuman-e-Islam School, Mumbai. Dr. Matlani presented his paper on 'Influence of Persian on Sindhi Language and Literature, as Dr. Matlani's paper was based on historical facts, hence it was highly appreciated by the audience.